Tuesday, February 24, 2009

For Nino's Mom

Me, the nut who just goes crazy when there is chaos and confusion. The scene now: my home office that I bought a new shelf for and as a result, was tempted to move everything else around. So now except for one bookshelf, everything is topsy turvy. My 2007 Dali calendar strewn on the floor alongwith photographs, Pickles' train tracks, the scanner, a mesh of wires, the yellow National Geographics, bahi khattas that my sister brings me and a white paper lamp shade. I have carefully kept the dried roses from my sis's 30th birthday in a corner. Also my precious Raja Ravi Verma poster is folded and kept away carefully.

The scene is so alien to me yet, so strangely endearing. I feel no immediate rush to clean this mess. Probably something like the sounds of this song. I don't understand it but I feel so snug when I listen to it, a different language but familiar warm tones, much like the things in this messy room. Hope you enjoy Souad Massi, NM. I feel so happy when you like my kind of music.

2 comments:

Nino's Mum said...

Oh Momstir, I've heard this Souad Massi song again and again, trying to find out why it just clicked with me, the first time around. the lilting depths, the warm familiar grooves, the full words of a languge of nostalgia/melancholy garbed in an exotic language - it's beautiful, I can't thank you enough for introducing to me, for bringing some more music into my life, like before. Big, big, hug.
Also, Sujatha recently did a post on this: on the beauty of songs in a foreign language. I think you'll find something achingly familiar in her words. read here:
http://blogpourri.blogspot.com/2009/02/why-i-listen-to-la-complainte-de-la.html

Nino's Mum said...

you've been tagged!
here:
http://theninoeffect.blogspot.com/2009/03/first-time-i-walked-down-this-road.html